Module 6 Blog Reflection

I found many ideas in this week’s materials that are important to my thoughts on teaching. I was especially interested in the discussions on Driscoll’s framework and its descriptions on the different ways people learn. I also liked the ideas on how different technologies can enhance the contextual, social, active, and reflective  elements of learning. 

With contextual and social learning, I think technology can play a significant role. I can see how instant access to recordings, videos, and playlists can be useful in showing students examples of music relevant to what they are learning. Students also can use technology to share their music with others. My teaching setting can be isolating for both my students and me. I travel to 5 schools each week, teaching about 30 students at each school. Because I am only in a school once a week, I really have to work to feel in touch with the rest of the school community. My 30 students at each school are the select few who play an instrument, out of hundreds, and they do not get a chance to share what they are learning until the concert. I would like to implement technology to broaden the social aspect of my teaching setting, whether it be regularly sharing videos of what my students do to connecting with other teachers who are in a similar sort of teaching position. It might be fun and motivating to do a group lesson or performance over video chat with another ensemble from a different school. 

In the discussion post, I spoke of how important it was for students to be reflective. I would also like to use more technology in this respect. Is is really helpful for the reflection process if students are able to hear themselves after they have played. The use of recording technology would work well for this. It might also be good for students to talk and reflect as they listen and record their thoughts out loud so they do not necessarily have to write them down. Sharing these recordings with the teacher would be helpful for monitoring student progress and how they are approaching their practicing. 


Finally, the use of WebQuests is a helpful tool for tapping into different elements of learning. WebQuests allow students to instantly access a multitude of resources that all contribute to a desired learning outcome. At first, I was not sure what WebQuests were, even after reading descriptions of the design. It is more clear now that I have seen examples. At the same time, while perusing different examples, I noticed that some are definitely better designed and more interesting than others. I think it is important for the teacher to put careful thought into the design of the lesson, so that it is truly meaningful and engaging. It is easy to let technology work its appeal. While sleek webpages, fonts, and graphics may appear well designed and engaging, it is really the lesson that is most important. I am looking forward to designing my own WebQuest for the first time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noteflight Project Reflection

Module 7 Blog Reflection

Module 4 Blog Reflection